ASTM D3580 Vibration Package Testing
ASTM D3580 package testing uses vibration testing to determine resonances of unpackaged products. As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of vertical linear vibration testing. Meeting the ASTM testing requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
We have a reputation of helping customers achieve their package certifications. Keystone Package Testing partners with customers to achieve package compliance. We are in constant communication throughout the test process. Our pricing is competitive and we offer volume discounts.
Summary of Vertical Linear Vibration Testing
ASTM D3580 vibration testing is to determine resonances. The test standard focuses on finding the resonances of unpackaged products and components of unpackaged products. ASTM-D3580 uses vertical linear motion at the surface on which the product is mounted to find the resonance. There are two alternate test methods.
- Test Method A: Resonance search using sinusoidal vibration
- Test Method B: Resonance search using random vibration
It is important to note that the two separate test methods are not equivalent. Different results may be produced with each method. Typically, the random vibration testing is a better simulation of the transport equipment. The random vibration testing is also usually quicker.
Scope of ASTM D3580 Vibration Testing
ASTM-D-3580 testing provides engineers with valuable design feedback. The testing parameters assess the response of products to vibration. This can be useful for product design, container design and interior packaging design purposes. The goal is to minimize the transportation vibration inputs at the critical frequencies.
Studies have proven that transportation vibration damage most often occurs at resonance frequencies. Knowing the resonance frequency, which could be considered a fragility point, assists engineers in designing proper packaging. When ASTM D3580 test labs complete the testing, they are not necessarily simulating the vibration effects the product could encounter in its operation or in-use environment. This test standard only addresses the shipping environment.
The testing occurs on a vibration table or shaker. Keystone Package Testing has four shakers capable of simulating the necessary vibration outputs. The standard recommends that at least five replicate samples be tested. The more units that are tested, the more accurate the statistical reliability.
Significance of ASTM D3580 Vertical Linear Motion Testing
Conditioning can be included in the test program. Conditioning can include but not be limited to extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature shock, humidity and altitude. In the absence of other requirements, the recommended temperature is 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 50%.
Upon completion of the ASTM D3580 package test, the test lab will issue a test report. The test report will include the following information:
- A description of the test product.
- Identification of the purpose of the test.
- Information on which test method was used. The options are sine testing, random testing or both.
- If sine testing is used, a description of the test sequence, input acceleration level, frequency range swept and sweep rate will be included.
- If the random testing is used, a description of the test sequence, input spectrum shape, levels, frequencies and the test duration will be included.
- A description of deviations
- A statement of the number of test replications.
- Identification of the test equipment used.
- Details of the method of conditioning.
- Results of any prior tests.
- Components that displayed resonant vibration and their corresponding frequencies.
Expert Vibration Package Testing
We can accommodate flexible and rigid packages of all sizes, including large pallets. Keystone has a full lab of test equipment which permits us to provide short lead times on scheduling. In addition to vertical linear vibration testing, Keystone has a full scope of expertise including temperature validation, sterile barrier, and cold chain.
Contact us and learn first hand why so many companies partner with Keystone to achieve their ASTM D5380 certification needs.
For more referenced ASTM standards and similar testing, please follow the links below:
- ASTM D996 Terminology of Packaging and Distribution Environments
- ASTM D4332 Practice for Conditioning Containers, Packages, or Packaging Components for Testing
- ASTM D4728 Test Method for Random Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM E122 Practice for Calculating Sample Size to Estimate, With Specified Precision, the Average for a Characteristic of a Lot or Process
- MIL-STD 810, Method 514 Vibration