ASTM D3580 Standard Tests for Vibration (Vertical Linear Motion) Test of Products
The scope of ASTM D3580 vibration testing is to determine resonances. The test standard focuses on finding the resonances of unpackaged products and components of unpackaged products. ASTM-D3580 uses vertical linear motion at the surface on which the product is mounted to find the resonance. There are two alternate test methods.
- Test Method A: Resonance search using sinusoidal vibration
- Test Method B: Resonance search using random vibration
It is important to note that the two separate test methods are not equivalent. Different results may be produced with each method. Typically, the random vibration testing is a better simulation of the transport equipment. The random vibration testing is also usually quicker.
ASTM-D-3580 testing provides engineers with valuable design feedback. The testing parameters assess the response of products to vibration. This can be useful for product design, container design and interior packaging design purposes. The goal is to minimize the transportation vibration inputs at the critical frequencies.
Studies have proven that transportation vibration damage most often occurs at resonance frequencies. Knowing the resonance frequency, which could be considered a fragility point, assists engineers in designing proper packaging. When ASTM D3580 test labs complete the testing, they are not necessarily simulating the vibration effects the product could encounter in its operation or in-use environment. This test standard only addresses the shipping environment.
The testing occurs on a vibration table or shaker. Keystone Package Testing has four shakers capable of simulating the necessary vibration outputs. The standard recommends that at least five replicate samples be tested. The more units that are tested, the more accurate the statistical reliability.
Conditioning can be included in the test program. Conditioning can include but not be limited to extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature shock, humidity and altitude. In the absence of other requirements, the recommend temperature is 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 50%.
Upon completion of the ASTM D3580 package test, the test lab will issue a test report. The test report will include the following information:
- A description of the test product.
- Identification of the purpose of the test.
- Information on which test method was used. The options are sine testing, random testing or both.
- If sine testing is used, a description of the test sequence, input acceleration level, frequency range swept and sweep rate will be included.
- If the random testing is used, a description of the test sequence, input spectrum shape, levels, frequencies and the test duration will be included.
- A description of deviations
- A statement of the number of test replications.
- Identification of the test equipment used.
- Details of the method of conditioning.
- Results of any prior tests.
- Components that displayed resonant vibration and their corresponding frequencies.
As an accredited vibration test lab and package test lab, Keystone Package Testing has developed an expertise in ASTM D3580 testing. Our team of engineers works with design engineers to streamline the transit testing program. We offer short lead times on scheduling and a quick turnaround time on test reports. Contact us to receive a quote on ASTM D3580 testing.