ASTM D4332 Containers, Packages, Or Packaging Components
ASTM D4332 package testing simulates field conditions a package may experience. As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of testing. Meeting the ASTM D4332 requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Our accurate test method reports are delivered quickly. Keystone Package Testing creates an accurate test plan to eliminate expensive over-testing. Keystone partners with customers to achieve package compliance. Lastly, our pricing is competitive and we offer volume discounts.
Summary of ASTM Conditioning Containers for Testing
The ASTM D4332 test describes a plan for conditioning these containers or packaging components. The purpose is so that the containers approach or reach equilibrium with the atmosphere to which they may be exposed. This standard is used for conditioning when conducting transit simulation tests.
This method should be used as the relevant conditioning standard when quantification of box compression strength at standard atmosphere conditions are required.
Many materials from which containers are made to undergo changes in physical properties as the temperature and the relative humidity vary. Therefore, the package should be placed and kept in a specified atmosphere for a length of time.
Scope of ASTM D4332 Package Testing
The conditions described in this testing method are either historically accepted standard conditions or special laboratory conditions chosen to represent particular phases of the distribution environment.
These standards and special conditions do not necessarily replicate actual field circumstances. However, they tend to simulate them and have effects on packages and materials which may be related to their field performance.
Significance of ASTM 4332 Conditioning for Container Testing
The container, package or packaging component in need of testing is exposed to the required conditions for an amount of time specified in the test procedure. Heavier packages are placed on a pallet or other device that should allow for as much exposure of the bottom surface as possible.
The package may be enclosed in a plastic sheet before removal from the conditioning atmosphere. It is noted that the plastic sheet may not interfere with the particular test, so that the package will neither gain or lose moisture.
The report summarizes details such as general information, date, time, location, and test engineer. Details of the components include the type of material and other characteristics. The number of packages tested and the number of failures are also recorded with any other conditioning.
Expert ASTM D4332 Packaging Component Testing
Keystone has a full lab of test equipment which allows us to provide short lead times on scheduling. In addition to special conditioning and testing, we have a full scope of expertise including accelerated aging, temperature validation, and vibration. We can accommodate flexible and rigid packages of all sizes, including large pallets.
Are you ready to get started? We are. Request a quote to learn first hand why so many companies partner with Keystone to achieve their ASTM D4332 certification needs.
For more referenced ASTM standards and similar testing, please follow the links below:
- ASTM D996 Terminology of Packaging and Distribution Environments
- ASTM D3198 Test Method for Application and Removal Torque of Threaded or Lug-Style Closures (Withdrawn 2016)3
- ASTM D3474 Practice for Calibration and Use of Torque Meters Used in Packaging Applications
- ASTM D4169 Practice for Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems
- ASTM D4332 Practice for Conditioning Containers, Packages, or Packaging Components for Testing
- ASTM E41 Terminology Relating to Conditioning
- ASTM E171/E171M Practice for Conditioning and Testing Flexible Barrier Packaging
- ASTM E691 Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine the Precision of a Test Method
- ASTM D7386 Practice for Performance Testing of Packages for Single Parcel Delivery Systems
- ASTM E122 Practice for Calculating Sample Size to Estimate, With Specified Precision, the Average for a Characteristic of a Lot or Process
- ISO 2247 Packaging—Complete, Filled Transport Packages—Vibration Test at Fixed Low Frequency
- ISO 8318 Packaging—Complete, Filled Transport Packages—Vibration Tests Using a Variable Frequency