ASTM D7030 Creep Testing of Corrugated Fiberboard Containers
The ASTM D7030 test method covers the resistance of corrugated containers to a constant compression load. As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of creep testing. Meeting the ASTM D7030 requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone Package Testing partners with customers to achieve package compliance. Our accurate test reports are delivered quickly. Thus, we are in constant communication throughout the test process. Keystone provides the peace of mind that all of your needs will be met.
Summary of ASTM D7030 Vertically Applied Constant Compression Testing
This ASTM test method can be used to find the resistance of an empty paper corrugated shipping container. The container is subjected to a constant compression load for a specified time. The test may also include palletized or unitized loads. The boxes are tested in the orientation of which they are most likely to be stacked in a unitized or palletized load.
Scope of ASTM D7030 Short Term Creep Performance Testing
A constant load is selected to which the container will be subjected. The load is placed on the test specimen. The load is then applied with a continuous motion of the movable platen machine. The speed of this machine ranges from 0.5 to 0.1 inches until the specific load is reached.
The entire duration of the compression creep test should be performed under fixed climatic conditions. These conditions are the standard conditions of 73 degrees F and 50% relative humidity.
The deflection is taken as zero when the full load has been established. Lastly, the deflection versus time values are recorded. Time values are recommended at 12 hours.
Significance of ASTM D7030 Corrugated Fiberboard Creep Testing
In the distribution system, the packaged product may be stored for significant periods of time. These packages are stored in a manner such that one or more containers are stacked. The bottom package is thus continually subjected to a constant compression load.
This standard test method for short creep testing subjects any empty container to predetermined static load and atmospheric conditions. If required, deflection is measured over a short period of time using fixed platen compression testing.
The ASTM test should be conducted on empty containers. The containers are recommended to be closed and secured. When required, the container should be conditioned for the static load test by exposure to fixed or controlled variable conditions. Where applicable, a special atmosphere selected from those specified in ASTM D4332 can be used.
The ASTM D7030 test report may include general and specific data tailored to the customers needs. General information will be information such as date, time, location, and specific test engineer. This information can also consist of, but is not limited to:
- Description and specification of materials, style of container, access holes, and double scores
- Description and specifications for interior packaging, if used
- Spacing, size, and type of fasteners
- Detailed results for each specimen
- Nature of failure
- Orientation in which the specimen was tested
- The results of any supplementary tests of the materials from which the container was made
- Date of last calibration of the apparatus and recording instrumentation
Expert ASTM D7030 Creep Package Testing
In addition to creep rate testing, Keystone has a full scope of expertise including leak penetration, vibration, and accelerated aging. Keystone has a full lab of test equipment which permits us to provide short lead times on scheduling. Our team strives to give our customers more time and energy on product development instead of testing.
Contact us to learn first hand why so many companies partner with Keystone to achieve their performance of corrugated fiberboard certification needs.
For more referenced ASTM standards and similar testing, please follow the links below:
- ASTM D642 Compressive Resistance of Shipping Containers, Components and Unit Loads
- ASTM D644 Test Method for Moisture Content of Paper and Paperboard by Oven Drying (Withdrawn 2010)3
- ASTM D685 Practice for Conditioning Paper and Paper Products for Testing
- ASTM D996 Terminology of Packaging and Distribution Environments
- ASTM D4332 Practice for Conditioning Containers, Packages, or Packaging Components for Testing
- ASTM D4577 Test Method for Compression Resistance of a Container Under Constant Load
- ASTM E4 Practices for Force Verification of Testing Machines
- ASTM E122 Practice for Calculating Sample Size to Estimate, With Specified Precision, the Average for a Characteristic of a Lot or Process