The International Safe Transit Association, also known as ISTA, is the leading industry developer of test standards and design specifications that define package standards and performance. Keystone has been certified as an ISTA lab, meaning we have the proper equipment and training to conduct testing that satisfies their standards.
ISTA testing can be a useful tool during the development phase. As a preventative measure, testing can help identify potential problems with packaging. This allows the opportunity for redesign and re-testing before packaging an entire supply of products. ISTA transit testing can also save time and money. Product damage during shipping accounts for a large portion of returns. ISTA package testing can help ensure that the product will arrive safely and reduce the amount of costly return and replacement fees. Consumer goods package tests and medical package tests are just two of the many industries that benefit from package testing.
There are many different ISTA Standards, which are divided into series.
- ISTA Series 1
- ISTA 1A Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- ISTA 1B Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg)
- ISTA 1C Extended Testing for Individual Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- ISTA 1E Unitized Loads
- ISTA 1G Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less (Random Vibration)
- ISTA 1H Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg) (Random Vibration)
- ISTA Series 2
- ISTA Series 3
- ISTA 3A Packaged-Products less than 150 pounds (68kg) for Parcel Delivery Shipments
- ISTA 3B Packaged-Products for less-than-truckload shipments (LTL)
- ISTA 3E Package Products in unitized loads for full truckload shipments. (FTL)
- ISTA 3K Packaged products shipped through multiple retail supply chains.
- ISTA Series 6
- ISTA 6 SAMSCLUB Packaged Products for Sams Club
- Type A: Non-Perishable, Initially Shipped Palletized
- Type B: Non-Perishable, Initially shipped large floor-loaded
- Type C: Non-Perishable, Initially shipped small floor-loaded
- Type D: Perishable, Initially shipped palletized
- ISTA 6 Amazon.com-SIOC – Packaged-Products shipped by Vendors to Amazon Fulfillment Centers
- Type A: Less than 50 pounds (23kg) Parcel Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products
- Type B: 50 Pounds *23kg) to less than 100 Pounds (45kg) Parcel Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products
- Type C: 100 Pounds (45kg) or Greater – Parcel Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products
- Type D: Less than 100 Pounds kg) – Less-Than-Truckload Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products (LTL)
- Type E: 100 Pounds (45kg) or Greater – Less-Than-Truckload Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products (LTL)
- Type F: Pallet Handling Method – Less-Than-Truckload Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products (LTL)
- Type G: Less than 150 Pounds (68kg) TV/Monitors – Parcel Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products
- Type H: 150 Pounds (68kg) or Greater – TV/Monitors – Less-Than-Truckload Delivery of Individual Packaged-Products (LTL)
- ISTA 6 Amazon.com-OB – Individual Packaged-Products weighing 70 Pounds (32kg) or less when prepared for e-commerce fulfillment by being over-boxed and shipped via a parcel delivery carrier.
- ISTA 6 SAMSCLUB Packaged Products for Sams Club
- ISTA Series 7
- ISTA 7D – Thermal Performance Testing of Packaged-Products to evaluate the effects of external temperature exposure.
- ISTA 7E – Evaluate the effects of external temperature exposures of individual packaged-products shipped through a Parcel Delivery System.
The charts below indicate the different ISTA test types. If you are not sure what kind of testing is best for your product, request a quote and our testing engineers will help you through the process.
|Test Description||Packaged Products Weighing ≤ 150 lbs.|
|Fixed Displacement Vibration||✔||✔||✔|
|Random Vibration Test||✔||✔||✔|
|Random Vibration Under Low Pressure||N/A||N/A||Optional|
|Inclined Impact Test||✔||✔|
|Test Description||Packaged Products Weighing > 150 lbs.|
|Fixed Displacement Vibration||✔||✔|
|Test Description||Unitized Loads (Palletized)||Furniture|
|Fixed Displacement Vibration||✔|
|Inclined Impact Test||✔||✔||✔|
ISTA has developed standards related to specific companies such as Sam’s Club and Amazon. The Sam’s Club standard is 6SAMSCLUB. Amazon.com and ISTA have partnered to create standards specific to fulfilling Amazon’s E-Commerce needs. The two primary Amazon package testing standards are ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC and ISTA 6-Amazon.com-OB. These standards include some other types of testing such as drop testing, temperature testing, rotational edge drop, and palletized load testing. Often, the test protocol will depend on the size of the package and ista weight requirement.
As an ISTA certified lab, Keystone Package Testing is proud to provide customers with reliable testing and ISTA reports. With international accreditation, competitive pricing, and quick turnaround time, Keystone is the right package testing partner. Our testing engineers are experienced and have thorough knowledge of industry standards. They are prepared to guide you through the package testing process. Let’s get started! Request a quote or contact us at (724) 657-9940.