As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of Wayfair and ISTA package testing. Meeting the Ecommerce package requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone Package Testing creates an accurate test plan to eliminate expensive over-testing. We provide comprehensive reports shortly after the completion of the testing. We have a reputation for helping customers achieve their package certifications. Keystone Package Testing partners with customers to achieve package compliance.
Request a quote to receive testing services customized to your specific needs. Have a question about Wayfair or Ecommerce package testing? Contact us and we will determine the best course of action.
Summary of Wayfair Regulatory Package Testing
Wayfair is requiring more and more packages to be ISTA certified. A package that is certified provides both the seller and Wayfair with many benefits. First and foremost, ISTA-certified packages are less likely to incur damage during fulfillment. Less damage equates to fewer returns and fewer negative reviews. This saves money, reduces extra work, and promotes additional sales by way of a higher online reputation.
ISTA is the acronym for International Safe Transit Authority. The Wayfair packaging certification is based on package testing to the ISTA standards. This organization has established a number of package testing standards. These standards are broken down into three series and each series has a number of standards that are designed for specific types of packages.
ISTA Series 1
ISTA Series 1 is package certification testing the is a non-simulation integrity performance test. The objective of this test series is to challenge the strength and robustness of the product and package combination.
This packaging test standard is not designed to simulate environmental occurrences. Instead, this testing is useful as screening tests, particularly when used as a consistent benchmark over time. There are six tests in series one. Below are brief explanations and links to detailed descriptions of each of the tests.
- ISTA 1A package testing is designed for packaged products weighing 150 pounds (68 kg) or less. The basic testing requirements are fixed displacement vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 1B package testing is used for packaged products weighing over 150 pounds (68 kg). Similar to 1B, the testing requirements are fixed displacement vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 1C is a package testing standard to provide extended testing for individually packaged products weighing 150 pounds (68 kg) or less. The package test requirements are fixed displacement or random vibration, shock testing, and compression.
- ISTA 1D is extended testing for individually packaged products weighing Over 150 pounds (68 kg). The basic requirements are fixed displacement or random vibration, shock testing, and compression testing.
- ISTA 1E is used to access the package integrity of unitized loads. ISTA 1E package testing requirements are vertical linear or random vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 1G is package testing for packaged products weighing 150 pounds (68 kg) or less. This testing includes random vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 1H is package certification testing for packaged products weighing over 150 pounds (68 kg). This package testing standard also includes random vibration and shock testing.
ISTA Series 2
ISTA Series 2 testing is designed to provide a partial simulation performance test. This series of testing includes at least one element of a Series 3 type general simulation performance test, such as atmospheric conditioning or mode-shaped random vibration, in addition to basic elements of a Series 1 type non-simulation integrity testing.
- ISTA 2A is a package testing standard for packaged products weighing 150 pounds (68kg) or less. The basic package testing requirements are atmospheric conditioning, compression, fixed displacement, or random vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 2B is the partial simulation package test for packaged products weighing over 150 pounds (68kg). The scope of testing in ISTA 2B is atmospheric conditioning, compression, fixed displacement, or random vibration and shock testing.
- ISTA 2C is the standard for package testing for furniture packaging. These packages are also commonly referred to as case goods. The package verification tests included in this procedure are atmospheric conditioning, compression, and shock testing.
ISTA Series 3
ISTA Series 3 testing is general simulation performance testing. Series three ISTA tests are the most aggressive tests of these three series. This series of testing is designed to provide a laboratory simulation of the damage-producing motions, forces, conditions, and sequences of the transport environments.
This series is applicable across broad sets of circumstances, such as a variety of vehicle types and routes, or a varying number of handling exposures. Characteristics will include simple shaped random vibration, different drop heights applied to the sample package, and/or atmospheric conditioning such as tropical wet or winter/frozen.
- ISTA 3A is the general simulation package testing standard for packaged products less than 150 pounds (68kg) for parcel delivery shipments. The testing requirements include atmospheric pre-conditioning, random vibration with and without top load, and shock testing.
- ISTA 3B is the packaging testing standard for packaged products that are transported on less-than-truckload shipments (LTL). The test scope may include atmospheric conditioning, tip-tip over, shock and impact, random vibration with top load, concentrated impacts, and forklift handling.
- ISTA 3E is the transportation testing standard for package products in unitized loads for full truckload shipments. (FTL). Testing to ISTA 3E includes atmospheric conditioning, compression, random vibration, and shock testing.
- ISTA 3F is the shipping testing standard for packaged products for distribution center to retail outlet shipment of 100 pounds (45 kg). The requirements of ISTA 3F are atmospheric conditioning, compression, random vibration, and shock testing.
- ISTA 3K is the shipment testing procedure for packaged products shipped through multiple retail supply chains. ISTA 3K testing covers atmospheric conditioning, random vibration, and shock testing.
Expert Wayfair and ISTA Compliance Integrity Package Testing
If you need assistance certifying your packaging with Wayfair, you have come to the right place. Our ISTA-certified package test lab can meet all of your packaging testing needs. We work with our customers throughout the entire test program. This consultative approach is why we are one of the fastest-growing package test labs in the country.
In addition to our great service, we also offer short leads times on scheduling and affordable pricing. If you have numerous packages to certify, we offer volume discounts.
Request a quote to experience the Keystone Package Testing difference. If you have questions, contact us. Rely on our expertise to guide you through the process of Wayfair packaging certification.